Million Orchids Project, April 23, 2014
NYBG Orchid Show, March 12, 2014
Kid's Corner: Art Project, February 20, 2014
Award Honorees, February 11, 2014
Kids' Art Projects, February 4, 2014
Parting Shot, January 14, 2014
Website Overview, part 2, January 2, 2014
Website Overview, part 1, December 11, 2013
Essay Contest, November 5, 2013
Kids' Orchid Hunt, October 29, 2013
Lecoufle 100th Birthday, October 22, 2013
MoBot, October 17, 2013
Profile: Lexie Mitchell, October 5, 2013
Orchids of Longwood, September 24, 2013
Memoriam: Tom Larkin, September 12, 2013
Kids' Sorting Boxes, September 4, 2013
Call for Nominations, August 28, 2013
Smartphone Apps, August 14, 2013
Fall Members Meeting, Junly 31, 2013
July Announcements, July 9, 2013
Kids' Photo Wall, June 18, 2013
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, June 4, 2013
Sharing Orchids With Kids, May 15, 2013
Veitch Memorial Medal, April 25, 2013
Orchid Hybrid Trivia, March 25, 2013
Report from Asia, February 27, 2013
$50,000 for Practical Research, February 5, 2013
January Announcements, January 8, 2013
ORCHIDS goes digital!, December 12, 2012
Bronstein Gets Gold, December 3, 2012
New Old Glossary, November 8, 2012
Essay Contest, October 8, 2012
Call for Nominations, September 28, 2012
2013 AOS Calendar, September 16, 2012
Educational Opportunities, September 6, 2012
Ridge Orchid Society, August 31, 2012
Myrtle Head Savanna Update, August 27, 2012
New Orleans Botanical Garden After Hurricane Katrina,
OCC Conservation Presentation, July 25, 2012
Making Time-lapse Videos, July 6, 2012
Magazine Supplement, June 28, 2012
New Director at Kew, June 18, 2012
Educational Opportunities, June 8, 2012
June Announcements, June 1, 2012
Klaas Schoone Award, May 23, 2012
Authors Wanted, May 10, 2012
Slipper Orchid Forum in Singapore, May 3, 2012
Native Orchids Here & There, April 24, 2012
Two Publications Now Available, March 26, 2012
Seeking Grant Applicants, March 5, 2012
Winter Orchid Events, March 2, 2012
February Announcements, February 21, 2012
Smithsonian Artist Research Fellowship, February 10,
USBG Gets Presidential Orchid Collection, January 27,
December Announcements, December 28, 2011
President's Message, November 29, 2011
Report from Singapore, #2, November 21, 2011
Report from Singapore, #1, November 15, 2011
Headquarters News, November 11, 2011
Call for Nominations, November 9, 2011
November Anouncements, November 7, 2011
October Anouncements, October 20, 2011
The Fall Season, September 30, 2011
The Orchid Clock, September 19, 2011
Renziana; a New Orchid Journal, September 9, 2011
September Announcements, September 1, 2011
August Announcements, August 18, 2011
Photographing Tiny Orchids, August 12, 2011
Saving Myrtle Head Savanna, August 4, 2011
Ozette Coralroot, July 27, 2011
Supersizing an AOS membership, July 18, 2011
An Urban Orchid, July 8, 2011
Orchid Digest Speakers Day, June 28, 2011
Orchid Education for the Summer Doldrums, June 16,
The Orchid in Chinese Painting, June 7, 2011
May Announcements, May 24, 2011
Economic Impact of Japan's Catastrophe
New AOS Awards Page Captures the Brilliant Imagery of Orchids
For more than 90 years the AOS has documented the best-of-the-best of the world’s most popular flower through its premier judging system. Each awarded orchid is meticulously described, measured and photographed. The AOS is pleased to announce that these awards and the stunning photographs that accompany them—previously accessible by AOS members only—are now open to the public at large thanks to a newly designed awards page on the Society’s website.
“AOS awards are a recognized measure of quality the world over and coveted by hobbyists and commercial growers alike,” explained Frank Smith, president of the AOS. “As the orchid’s popularity has grown, demand for accurate information about the flower has increased. And nowhere is their more precise information than in the AOS’ vast award repository. People will love the award paragraphs, not only for their beauty but from what they can learn from them. This is a great way to advance their knowledge and appreciation of orchids.”
Six things you will absolutely love about the new awards page...
- It’s free! Gaining access to orchid awards previously required a subscription to the AOS’ Orchids Plus award registry platform.
- You don’t have to be an AOS member. These breathtakingly beautiful photographs haven't been available to non-paying visitors until now.
- The page shows the 30 most recent orchid awards, including its name, parentage, description, award, score and photograph. This information can help make you a better orchid grower.
- Clicking on any photo in the page opens up a larger photo with a gallery feature, allowing you to click through all of the large photos for the latest awards.
- The page also includes a social sharing function to allow you to share the page with your friends via your favorite social media or bookmarking site, as well as by email.
- You can start exploring now – click here!
Call for Nominations: Board of Trustees of the American Orchid Society
We are seeking nominations for members of the Board of Trustees of the American Orchid Society. Members may nominate any member in good standing, including themselves. All nominations will be evaluated by the Nominating Committee and a slate will be mailed, in accordance with the by-laws, prior to the election at the Members’ Meeting in the spring of 2015. The following competencies have been determined by the Board and Trustees and will be used in the evaluation:
All nominees shall be:
Expertise in the following is desirable and will weigh heavily in the evaluation:
- A member in good standing,
- Exhibit integrity and ethical behavior,
- Process strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Have board experience with a non-profit organization
- Finance, business, and/or investment strategies
- Non-profit governance
- Development/fund raising
- Legal background
- Strategic planning and implementation
Nominations should be submitted in writing by e-mail to email@example.com or to the — American Orchid Society at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL 33156 and must include biographical information as well as a statement of the nominee’s qualifications. Nominations must be receieved no later than October 31, 2015.
- Attend monthly conference-call type meetings.
- Attend two face-to-face meetings annually (trustees must pay own travel expenses.).
- Trustees receive no compensation for their services.
- Financially support the organization in a manner commensurate with one’s ability, while seeking additional financial support elsewhere.
- Advocate on behalf of the organization and be ambassadors to the orchid community.
Find whatever you are looking for!
H O M E P A G E T E S T P A G E